Dubai, Dubai, Dubai; A mix of Metropolitan, dessert, tradition and modern all in one city. My first trip to the Middle East was to the glitzy city of Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
Some things I learned through my research:
- The UAE Malls are a destination. From Skiing to aquariums you can find almost anything at the malls in Dubai.
- Alcohol is a bit tricky to find as Dubai is a located in a Muslim country. You can find alcohol in hotels restaurants that cater towards to tourists.
- Efficient and super modern public transportation. Yes there are taxis and Ubers, hop on the light rail that zips you across the city. The stations for the light rail are something out of a science fiction movie, looking like space ships.
- If you are from Canada or Northern US you will find an abundance of Tim Hortons.
- If you want to enjoy a good beach with all the accoutrements, you can pay for beach resort access if you are not staying at the hotel.
- If trying to choose a place to stay, know that the Palm is a bit isolating where the areas around the Marina and the Burj Khalifa have a good amount of food and entertainment.
- Go for a sunset or a small boat tour of the Dubai marina and city.
Read about my trip to the Middle East at travel Dubai.